Thursday, February 24, 2011

Almost Beyond Comprehension


I'm sure that many of you, like me, have been glued to the TV the last few days watching the news from Christchurch. I have been in tears many times as I see my beautiful and beloved birthplace reduced to rubble and looking like a war zone, and even as I type this my heart is in my throat. I am so distressed at the extent of the tragedy and cannot even begin to put into words how sad I feel for those people who have lost loved ones, friends and colleagues.

One part of me wants to rush over there to do anything I can to help, and another part is so thankful that I was NOT there, and that something like this didn't happen when we lived there and my daughter was small. When you see scenes like those from places you don't know it is bad enough, but to see familiar streets and well loved buildings - the Cathedral, the Arts Centre, the Time Ball in Lyttleton - it just makes my heart break.

Luckily, we have been able to contact most of our close friends in Christchurch and they are all safe. Some escaped buildings in the city just in time before they collapsed, others have internal damage to their homes but are structurally safe, one luckily was in Dunedin on business. I am so thankful.

But my heart goes out to everyone there and I fervently hope that more survivors will soon be found amongst the ruins.

I hope it helps in some small way to know that we are all thinking of you.

Kez

8 comments:

Carla said...

I am so glad you were able to contact most of your friends and family!!! Everyone is in my prayers! So sad!!! Hugs,

Anonymous said...

am pleased to read that are your friends are safe. Even we follow in Europe on TV over and over again. It is hard to find the right words. One can only pray and think of all the people.
Big Hugs Tanja

Juliette Chapman said...

Kez - wonderful news that you have been able to contact most of your friends and family. I am praying with everything I have for the people of Christchurch. XXX

Kim Tonnet said...

Oh Kerrie I did not know this beautiful city is your home town. I feel sad enough as a tourist remembering this special place. I'm sorry for your loss. Luv KimT

Paula Dobson said...

Kez, I didn't realise you were a Kiwi either! The tragedy is heartbreaking, but all the more so, since Chch is your home town. So glad to hear your friends and family are safe - as are mine.

Lynda said...

As you know Kez...I am only an e mail away. You and the family have been in my thoughts since I heard of this tragedy. Know that all of us out here are sending you strength, love and lotsa hugs. ooxx

Anonymous said...

Kerry, So pleased to hear that your friends and family are safe. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been affected by this awful disaster.
Love Deb

Anonymous said...

Hello from California

I am happy to hear your family and friends are safe, and I pray for those who were not so fortunate.

I am new to your blog, and enjoy seeing your creations.

Kind regards,
TC