Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Wee Bit Arty Farty

Hey ho stampers! I hope you are enjoying a warm, sunny day where you are - we are here in the beautiful Blue Mountains! Mind you, I believe thunder storms are predicted for later on, so I'd best enjoy it while I can! A long and rambling entry today, so if you're in the mood for an epic, read on!

Today's card is what I call "a wee bit arty farty"! It turned out that way through a series of mishaps - or rather, things not turning out quite like I thought they would ... here's the skinny:

While browsing through the IB&C I noted that the Xmas scrapbooking kit uses Cherry Cobbler (heart!), Always Artichoke, Very Vanilla and Marina Mist. Hmmm, I thunk, I'd quite like to try that combo. Picture thinking cap on, trying to decide what stamps to use with these colours ... decided on Just Believe with a brayered background. Next dilemma: how to brayer blue without obliterating the green and red? Solution: clear emboss the flower first, then brayer over the top. So that's what I did, I inked my stamp with Versamark and then coloured with markers over it. First mishap! Markers do NOT like going over Versamark ink. Result? A bit of a blurry, blotchy effect. One to Murphy! Ah well, soldier on!

So I made my mask and brayered the sky with Baja Breeze and Marina Mist. It worked OK over the flowers, no problems with colours running or anything. One to Kez!

Then I got adventurous and decided to try my newly-made-up shimmer mist for a glittery effect. I have practised a couple of times but STILL got the large blobs, so again Murphy scored one and I got a bit of a patchy sparkle over my focal image!

Alright, next I stamped En Francais in Marina Mist over my vanilla background piece. Waaaaayy too prominent, so I embossed it to see if that toned it down a bit. Nah, Murphy scores again! OK, flipped it over and tried to get a vintagey/patchy look on the other side from whatever ink still remained on the stamp. Hmm, not much, but you'll see the merest hint on there! Half to Murphy, begrudgingly!

Then, the final touch and my piece-de-resistance! Some Cherry Cobbler (heart!) ribbon! No, I have not been shopping over in the good old US of A, but found some ribbon at a nearby habby shop that is a perfect match - and thus, am now in Cherry Cobbler heaven! LOL!

Another one to me - and the final score? Well, I think Murphy won that round. So, my card turned out not at all as perfect as I planned. Still, when I look at it, I quite like the soft, blurry, arty-farty kind of effect I have ended up with! Maybe Murphy should call in again some time .....!

Hey, if you've stuck with me for this long, now you deserve to see the card, yeah? Feast ....



Thanks for stopping by - and for valiantly struggling through my ramblings! Have a great day and watch out for Murphy!

Cheers
Kez

8 comments:

Lynda said...

Fact...I nursed a German patient and she said they had Otto's law....it stated that Murphy was an optimist....LOL!!!! that what don't kill you makes your crafting stronger :) I love it and always learn a lot fm reading ur musings (and what not to do.) LURVE the card...GORJUS. ooxx

Jess S said...

I loved reading the 'ramblings' made me smile. :) You gotta Love Murphy and his laws... Might have to email you to get some of this ribbon. It is to die for!

Juliette Chapman said...

Oh Kez - you are so funny!!! I love your persistence. I probably would have given into Murhpy right at the beginning. The card is lovely!!!

Jodene said...

I don't think I have ever put that much thought or effort into one of my cards, so well done! And I love the effect you got in the end. The card looks beautiful and so shimmery! Even if it's not what you had planned in the beginning :)I think the markers over versamark give it almost a watercoloured appearance.

Lorna Casha said...

Simply beautiful Kerry. I love the card.

Sue Dean said...

You may think that Murphy won but what a lovely card in the end. Loving that ribbon in my new fav colour, must go looking. Glad you stuck with it on this one - well done!

Sue Dean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I'm Jenny and I stamp... said...

I too have found ribbon local to Parramata that is a pretty good Cherry cobbler (grosgrain style). Very happy now also. Great card by the way, I really will have to invest in this set.